INTRODUCING THE PROJECT
This project aims to meet needs within the municipality of Glazoué. The population of the borough of Zaffé, wants to improve the lot of the inhabitants of the area by implementing an integrated forest resource management project combining alternative economic activities and environmental education with populations of the Zaffé borough. Indeed, the latter is very affected by deforestation in a rural context marked by poverty, with a practice of extending land into slash-and-burn, and the manufacture and sale of charcoal.
The main objective is to protect and enhance the environment, especially forest cover by replanting 50,000 trees. The creation of alternative and income-generating economic activities for the people of the region is also at the heart of the project, including development and support for beekeeping activity.
These populations live in a very simple way of farming, with farming methods that do not allow them to fully support themselves, due to the very low yields associated with them and the lack of diversity of these crops.
The project is part of the achievement of the objectives, 1 (No Poverty), 2 (Zero Hunger), 3 (Good Health and Well-being), 13 (Climate Change Measures), 15 (Earth Life) and 17 (Inclusive Partnerships) of the Goals of the Sustainable development set out by the United Nations.
This project will be implemented over the period 2019-2022.
RESULTS DIRECTS ATTENDUS
- The inhabitants of the borough pay attention to their direct environment
- The inhabitants of the borough protect the forest cover and reduce the extension by offal
- Coal wood mining decreases as well as sales
- Residents of the area are reducing their consumption of woody products, including coal
- The amount of vegetable crops in agroecology has increased
- The nursery created by Esho-Ko-Iya has become profitable and is creating activity in the
- A beekeeping activity is launched and allows farmers to receive other income
- Residents see their income improve through the sale of market garden products
- Part of the river gallery forest is rehabilitated
- Public areas are greener
- Farmers have integrated trees into their land
- Esho-Ko-Iya is strengthened without its capabilities
- Building a storage store
- Construction of irrigation system (drilling and adduction)
- Training of beneficiaries in reforestation in agroforestry and management
- Additional nursery development and supply of equipment and seeds
- Setting up awareness sessions by facilitators and setting up awareness events.
- Reforestation public spaces
- Integration of fertility trees in the fields
- Glazoué Commune
- APAF Benin
- Association SILVA
- Zaffé Rounding
- Koko Beekeepers Association
- Club CPN butterflies